Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cannes, Antibes, Cagnes-sur-mer, le 14 juillet


There was no school today due to the 14th of July, France's national day, so I decided to make a quick tour to the west of Nice.
It took me about an hour and a half to bus to Cannes, where there was a nice promenade lined with palm trees next to the sea, interesting painted walls on buildings that are inspired by the movie industry, and handprints of famous hollywood stars that I didn't manage to find.
Yeah..I had a map, and I was probably only 10 metres from it, but I just couldn't find it!
Not surprising. It happens to me often.

Next, Antibes. It was beautiful in the old town. I have to say that I find most "old towns" very similar to each other, no matter where they are in France. By now, I am more attracted to all the ice cream shops that are in these areas than the actual area itself. But the ice cream is worth everything.
I was lucky though, because usually the museums are not opened on Tuesdays, but the Picasso museum was surprisingly opened~ so I went and got a discounted admission by saying I am a student, although later I found that on the ticket, it says I am above 65 years old. What?!??!?!?
Incroyable!

Then I went to my last stop: Cagnes-sur-mer. This place was beautiful, but a bit dead because it was a national holiday. I went to the top of the town though-a medieval village built on a mountain. The roads were so steep it's hard to imagine how people lived at that time. They would have to walk up and down everyday...
There was a church up top and also a museum. But this time I was less lucky so the museum was not opened. I also missed the Renoir museum and olive garden, which I would love to go to.
Well, things can't be perfect.
The village itself was already very impressive.

Finally, after the whole day of journey, I went home and took a shower before I headed out to see the fireworks for the 14th of July. It was very nice, and the fact that they closed the road totally makes it nice because it wasn't super duper crowded. I did see a little mouse crawling around the beach though! Makes me think twice if I should be lying on the beach here...><

No comments: