Sunday, July 19, 2009

Italy day July 18

I was a bit too ambitious.
Knowing that Torino is about 4 hours from Ventimiglia (the city closest to the French border), I thought if I oculd wake up early enough, I can manage to go there and come back late, since there are many trains back from Ventimiglia to Nice.
Of course, it's Europe, not Japan. There were not many trains to go to Torino, and the trains were often 10, 20 minutes late. So I gave up when I realized I didn't have a connection to go to Torino early enough. I changed my plans to go to Cuneo, a city between Torino and Ventimiglia. I checked everything, went to the designated platform on time, and got on the train, just to realize 3 stations later that it was not going to Cuneo, it was heading for a small city between Ventimiglia and Genova.

God.

Fine.

So I had to change plans again. Either I took a train 2 hours later to go to Genova, which would have been nice, but I would arrive at 5:30 pm, or I go back to a city a bit close to Ventimiglia that is still on the coast: San Remo.

So that's what I did. It wasn't the best because I had not done any research on San Remo at all. There didn't seem to be any special sights there except for a couple of villas. So instead, I did a lot of shopping! ><
Italian shops were also on sale, and things seem to be a bit cheaper than French's. There were so many shops selling lingerie and bikinis...amazing, and perfect because this is the exact kind of thing that is expensive in Japan, but often gets abandoned after a while, especially bikinis.

I also went for a long stroll along their beach, which was so much more crowded than that of Nice, perhaps because Nice's beach is so long people tend to spread out more.

I had spaghetti for lunch, wanting to know if their spaghetti is really much better...but...the truth is NO. It is just like any I have had before...

There were tonnes of ice cream shops of course...I swear I saw at least 10 shops that just sells ice cream and another 20 that sell ice cream among other things.

But it really is so important to know the language when you visit a place. There was a funny and frustrating little episode when I was looking at their lingerie. In Italy,, apparently, they do not use the system of ABC etc. They use 123. So I picked up one that I wanted, but wasn't sure what size the "3" represented in size. I asked for clarification in English, but the staff only spoke in Italian. She could proabably understand a bit of English.

So it went something like this:
Me(pointing to the number "3"): What is this in French size? (since the city was so close to France, I supposed it was ok to ask her this way)
Staff: C
Me(drawing the letter C in the air): C?
Staff: C/Si (I wasn't sure which one she was answering now)
Me(a but confused and just want to know the damn size): So this is 90C in French size?
Staff(pointing at the number "3"): B
Me(now frustrated): This is B? But you said it was C.
Staff: C/Si (again, not sure which one she was saying)

You can imagine the rest of the disaster.

No comments: